Sunday, January 19, 2014

Cold days mean time for crafting...

Hello, my friends! Believe it or not, I am still completing crafts and projects that I meant to start.. er..finish before Christmas. Many of you know that this holiday season brought me a bit of heartache, but what better therapy is there than to continue making precious gifts for others? I find great comfort in my God, my husband, my family, and my crocheting. There is something quite wonderful in beginning with a skein of yarn and needle and ending with a scarf or coasters.... or anything! 

With the current brisk weather most of the country is experiencing, now is the perfect time to pick up these tools and make something cozy. My current crochet obsession is working with motifs. A motif is a decorative design or pattern with which one can make a myriad of treasures. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced yarnista, motifs are a joy to work. I recommend getting the book Beyond the Square: Crochet Motifs144 motifs! Oh what fun! Now, that can keep anyone busy until warm, sunny days return!                                                                                                                  

Hexagons, circles, squares, triangles, and more-- whatever the shape, connect together to create blankets, scarves, place mats, beanies, pillows and more. 

Is anyone else working on fun projects this winter? Have you worked with motifs before? Share some fun ideas with us and happy crafting!

6 comments:

  1. Hey long lost cousin with a blog! It is, once again, nice to read a sort of update on you and yours in the PACNW. While i have no real "crafty" contribution i wanted to comment and encourage you to keep blogging. We all wept and prayed for you and Josh while you were experiencing your "heartache", i hope you could feel our warm hugs and prayers we were sending, even though they were often sent without a spoken word. We love you two and pray for you often. I'm glad to see you're feeling well and satisfying your crafty cravings. Keep it up and give everyone our love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you cuz! Along the way, their will be a good variety of content that will have fun updates for my far-away loved ones :) Thanks for the prayers and long-distance hugs!

      Delete
  2. Amanda , you know my heart ached alone with yours , and the worse part was not being close by to hug my darlin daughter at that sad time! I am so proud of you and your strength ! I am so glad you started this blog so keep it up !! Amanda I am so thankful you have a loving husband and a wonderful new family that loves you ! As far as your crocheting ... I remember teaching you my one pattern , and you have just takin off with it in a world wind hahah Love you dear and can't wait for you to be home soon !! Love you . Momma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Mama, we will share lots of hugs soon! Also, thank you for teaching me to make a granny square so long ago. Who knew just what you started! Love you!

      Delete
  3. Yay! I love reading blogs! And even better I know this blogger! Hannah is wanting to learn how to crochet, and every time I try I make triangles, lol. Can't wait to share this with her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lovely! Perhaps, we can get together when I'm in town next month, and I can teach you both a fun project over some tea and scones. Who knows? I could then blog about it :)

      Delete